Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kannadigas to Canadians

There goes a popular joke when it comes to South Indians and their “love” towards their language. That when you hear 2 people conversing in Telugu you know that they are from AP. When you hear 2 people conversing in Tamil you know that they are Tamilians. When you hear 2 people conversing in Malayalam you know that they are Keralites. But when you hear 2 people conversing in English, yes, your guess is as good as mine, they are Kannadigas.

It puzzles me quite a lot. Why is it so?

I have stayed in Pune for 2 years, where Marathi is the local language. Seldom have I have come across 2 locals conversing in Hindi, leave alone English. Even in the office it would be Marathi most of the times. My PL would be speaking in English with me and when the PM joins in, they would hit off in Marathi, and switching would continue for the rest of the time.

In Bangalore, you will find, even speaking statistically, the majority is of non-kannadigas. You will find that most of them stick to their native language, barring kannadigas. Once one of my friend had traveled with me to Bangalore. We got down at the airport and went near the rickshaw stand. There was a Traffic police constable taking down the details of the individual before boarding the auto. I just went up to him and asked “Sir, Majesticge hogabeku”, to which he replied, mind you in these exact words “What is your name? Do you have any luggage”. I continued asking in kannada and he continued answering in English. I just looked at my friend and she was in total disbelief, more so because she is a north-Indian and they tend to have a notion that south-Indians are madraasis. And we all know how it works in Tamil Nadu when it comes to their vernacular. Well, everybody here (B’lore) speaks English and its not that I’m complaining.

When I was just thinking over, I stumbled upon a few things which could be good reasons for this. With the large influx of non-kannada speaking people, given the very accommodating nature of people here, started to speak in a language that they could understand. This persevered into their general speaking and has made a place hence. Another reason is the way things are at home. I had been to a friend’s house the other day and all they spoke was English. I met one of their neighbor’s kids and that 4 yr old was speaking such good English. And yes, his parents were speaking only in English with them. Some people, no matter whatever broken English they are speaking, do so, because they believe that it enhances their “status”. Some are so adamant that they refuse to speak in Kannada even though it’s absolutely required. Like a few days ago, I read that some kid was lost in the crowd at big mall and the authorities refused to make an announcement in Kannada!! Even though the parents were saying that the boy doesn’t understand English!! It’s utterly utterly preposterous. And the rest who do speak Kannada, it more or less sounds like Kanglish at its best. I have a very bad feeling that Kannada is soon going to be totally effed! (Please excuse my language).

The silver hair generation says that it’s the lack of pride and passion in people’s minds that is taking away the beauty of a language that is as good as any other. No matter whatever reasoning was done above over the fate of our language, I somewhere tend to accept what the oldies are saying is more rational.

When I was typing ‘Kannadigas’ in the above paragraphs, that word was getting underlined in green, meaning that there could be a spelling mistake. When I right-clicked on it, the first alternate word that was suggested was ‘Canadians’.

Do I need to say more?

2 comments:

MANOJ said...

Santhosh, acccording to me all the regional languages are facing same problem. I am marathi and as you told condition of marathi in Mumbai, capital of Maharashtra is same as you discussed about kannada in B'lore. Moreover we think all the south indians including kannadigas loves their mothertongue by heart. Pune is a center place of maharashtra, the condition of marathi is somewhat good but not the best.

Santhosh said...

Hi Manoj, this is got more to do with the cities becomin' more and more cosmopolitan by the day. I agree with your opinion about the condition of marathi in Pune.