Friday, October 06, 2006

The Shawshank Redemption


I watched the movie The Shawshank Redemption for the millionth time. And I can tell you that I can watch it a zillion times more. The difference was, this time I watched it on my Sony PSP. Small screen Big effect!!

The Shawshank Redemption is based on a Stephen King novella Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. It’s basically a prison drama, but much different from anything else you might have seen, about how to live your day-to-day life in desperately difficult times.

I still distinctly remember the first time I watched this movie ages ago. My brother had knocked on my head and had made me watch this movie, when I actually wanted to watch Lethal Weapon!

It's simple to say The Shawshank Redemption is about hope, but it is also about faith and love. The movie is primarily about two characters Andy Dufresne and Ellis "Red" Redding. The beauty of the movies lies in the contrasting lives of Andy and Red. One is very enigmatic and hopeful and the other is hopelessly hopeless. In spite of their contrasting attitudes they connect well. The acting is just top notch from both of them. Particularly Freeman’s acting is exceptional. His performance is so unshowy that it goes totally unoticed, but it’s the soul and “voice” of Shawshank.

In 1946, a banker named Andy Dufresne is convicted of a double murder, even though he stubbornly proclaims his innocence. He's sentenced to a life term at the Shawshank State Prison in Maine, where another lifer, Ellis "Red" Redding, picks him as the new recruit most likely to crack under the pressure. The ugly realities of prison life are quickly introduced to Andy: a corrupt warden, sadistic guards led by Capt. Byron, and inmates who are little better than animals, willing to use rape or beatings to insure their dominance. But Andy does not crack: he has the hope of the truly innocent, which (together with his smarts) allow him to prevail behind bars. He uses his banking skills to win favor with the warden and the guards, doing the books for Norton's illegal business schemes and keeping an eye on the investments of most of the prison staff. In exchange, he is able to improve the prison library and bring some dignity and respect back to many of the inmates, including Red. Finally he escapes from the prison with no clue left behind. Red and Andy are united at the end of the movie after the former is paroled.

After the movie is over it makes you look back and wonder. The film is not actually about prison life. Shawshank is indeed the name of a prison and most of the movie is within prison walls and about a warden, guards, and inmates. But they are just side notes to the symphony about friendship, loyalty and most prominently “Hope”. This explains the title’s allusion to Redemption.

The memorable surprises in the film are only the icing on a carefully crafted cake. When the director spins the story upside down, it is only after we have invested our hearts and minds into these characters. Only later do we realize the plot has underlined the emotions all the while. We squeal with delight and hope as the movie folds. We feel compelled to rewind and watch it all again.

On second visits you will find insights into a plethora of nuances that crave discovery-minute expressions and missed dialogue often not caught in the first viewing. You will experience this each and every time you watch it. And every time you watch, Andy and Red’s redemption warms our hearts. Their continuing ability to hope, spontaneously rubs on us.

The last few lines of the movie just waltzes you away.

Sure I remember the name. Zihuatanejo. A name like that is just too pretty to forget.
I find I am excited, so excited I can hardly hold the pencil in my trembling hand. I think it is the excitement that only a free man can feel, a free man starting a long journey whose conclusion in uncertain.
I hope Andy is down there.
I hope I can make it across the border.
I hope to see my friend and shake his hand.
I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.
I hope.

This movie gives a fresh lease of life to anyone who has lost hope. So lets “Get busy living or get busy dying”.


No comments: