Friday, October 06, 2006

My Brother, Kiran

Iam the kinda of person who doesn’t get influenced by people around. There have a very few people who have been able to do so. My brother has been the biggest one.

I have grown up with my brother for the better part of my Life till now. I can say that growing up with my brother has been very good, with a certain sense of satisfaction.

We were like any other brothers growing up together. Except, not actually.

The brawls, the fun, the camaraderie (at times!), the expectations from parents, teachers to match my brother in Academia (failing miserably), my own expectations to match my brother in sports (failing miserably, again), stealing snacks from kitchen, getting posters for “my side” of the wall, making missile launchers with a piece of wood and 3 nails, playing cricket, squash, T.T. as soon as mom n dad would go out of the house, yes sir, we had it all.

When I was growing up I had this habit of aping anything he would do. I tried to dress like him, used to wrap my books the same way, putting a sticker on it, arranging the books in the bag, arranging the paraphernalia inside the “geometry” box, folding the handkerchief, placing it in the pocket, keeping money in the pocket, parking the bi-cycle and many more minute things that I can’t remember now. So much so that, I used to try to play soccer with my left-foot predominantly than my right one and ended on my backside once! Somewhere I feel that I even used to try to think like him.

The movies he watched, the soaps he watched, were also religiously watched by me. I still remember many movies that I made fun of when he used to watch, but have become my all-time favorite ones after he made me watch them like Forrest Gump, Braveheart, The Shawshank Redemption, The Wonder Years and so on.

After the formative years like above, things changed. He went to college in a different city but used to come home on weekends. We used to speak at length about his friends, college, people, life and so on and so forth. We would go up to 3AM in the morning at times. I can’t actually remember what we spoke, but it was a lot of fun and education. I simply would love it. This continued even after he begun working. Even to-date Iam all ears whenever he says something about profession, life and just about anything.

It’s been a long time now that he left abroad and hasn’t come back even once. I hope to seem him soon someday and maybe catch with all the things of the past. Of course it would be difficult because we are all “grown up” now. But I hope we will connect.

And yes, will try to ape some more…Thank You, Brother…For Everything...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you as humble as this and realistic ..

Santhosh said...

Its nothing about being humble..

goks said...

well most of younger ones like us tend to dat... Well ur blog did make me nostalgic.,..

Santhosh said...

Yah! It did make me nostalgic too, when I wrote it..